Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Kiwi Nails


These cute nails look just like the inside of a kiwi. It’s a pretty simple concept but the many little details made this design interesting. The main features of a kiwi’s appearance are the green fruit color, the white core, and black seeds. I didn’t include the furry outside of the kiwi because this design only showed the inside flesh of the fruit.

  1. I started with a basic base coat to protect my natural nails.
  2. Next I applied a coat of my green kiwi color over my entire nail.
  3. For the white core, I switched over to acrylic paints and very small paint brushes.  I actually started with the white lines around the outside of the nail. I watered down my white paint so I could get precise skinny lines. Because the paint is thinner, I had to go over many of the lines twice to get full coverage.
  4. Next I used full strength paint and a larger brush to fill in the space between the lines. This created a fairly even but organic looking shape for the core.
  5. I made seeds using black paint and a very small dotting tool and made rows of dots down the rows made by the white stripes.
  6. That’s it! I finished off with a top coat to seal the acrylic paints and protect the design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment