Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pink Stripe Nails


These pink nails are a good example of chromatic color blocking. They were inspired by this post :  http://www.simplenailarttips.com/nail-art/125

The design only has pink colors, but in three different shades. I used normal scotch tape to get sharp lines between the colors. Every nail had the same design to keep it simple and symmetric. They could be considered a variation of a pink French manicure.

  1. I started out with a clear base coat to make sure that my natural nails were not stained by the colored nail polish.
  2. I then painted two coats of my lightest pink nail polish to get consistent color coverage.
  3. When those coats were completely dry, I put a piece of tape to create a sharp edge of where my next brush strokes would end. If my tape seemed too strong, I taped it to my denim jeans and ripped it off. That reduced the stickiness without totally ruining it.  I went about halfway down the nail and covered the lower half with the tape. I painted the exposed top portion with the medium pink and immediately removed the tape.
  4. Once they were completely dry, I did the same tape procedure at the halfway mark of the medium pink. I painted the darkest pink over that exposed portion, pretty much finishing the design.
  5. I finished by painting two coats of top coat. The double coat helps keep my natural nails strong and resistant to breaking and chipping. It also gives a great shine to the entire design.  

No comments:

Post a Comment