Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Stick Figure Nails


I did these stick figure nails for a friend. The pink background against the black stick figures reminded me of iTunes gift cards. The design featured happy, sad, running, and jumping stick figures. It was challenging to get the stick figures’ emotions across with so few lines. Once I figured out how to paint each one, they seemed lively and cute. Every nail also has a few pieces of glitter in the top corner.

  1. I started off with a clear base coat to protect her natural nails from being stained by the pink nail polish.
  2. I applied two coats of pink polish to make sure it was covered evenly.
  3. Then I switched over to acrylic paints and small paint brushes to paint the figures. Each figure was slightly different, but they all had heads made from a little circle. Their bodies were a straight line, and their limbs were bent to fit their activity. The stick figures on the right hand mirror those on the left hand for symmetry.
  4. I added pieces of glitter to the corners with clear nail polish. I dabbed a little bit of clear polish to act as glue. I touched a dotting tool to the clear polish so I could pick up each individual piece of glitter. Once they were in place, I covered them with clear polish to seal them in place.
  5. Then I covered the entire nail with a top coat to seal in the acrylic paints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment