Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pineapple Nails



These are cute, summery pineapple nails. They are an imitation of a real life pineapple except for the glittering leaves. Unlike my kiwi design, these nails feature the outside of the fruit. The length of my nails allowed me to make proportional pineapples. If they had been too short, the leaves would have been too wide.  Longer nails, however, give more options.

  1. I started out with a normal base coat to make sure my nails were not stained yellow by the polish.
  2. Next I applied one coat of yellow nail polish. It did not have to be a perfect coverage because there would be a bunch of brown lines camouflaging light spots. If anything, it would make them look more organic.
  3. I then painted a crescent moon shape of green polish just above my cuticle for the leaf portion.
  4. Then I switched over to acrylic paints and small paint brushes. I painted brown crisscross lines, starting with five lines in one direction, and then five in the other. This could also be done with brown striping nail polish.
  5. I painted the green leaves with green acrylic paint, but this step could also be done with green striping nail polish.
  6. Using a clear striping polish with green glitter, I added sparkle to the leaves. I roughly followed the dark green lines.
  7. That’s it! Then I simply added a base coat to seal in the acrylic paints and protect the design from wear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment